Based on the feedback received people tended to enjoy these webinars. If you want to take a look at them yourself I'll provide a link later. We began by going over some interactions for the day and moved on to debugging activities to give people practice with the syntax. While it is my hope that anyone who participated was able to take something away from it, I have the following advice for someone who wants to learn how to code in Desmos this summer:
STOP!! Don't watch the recordings, instead follow these steps:
2) Figure out what you want to do
- Take out a piece of paper or open a blank document. Write down some of the things you would like to do with Desmos
- Look around teacher.desmos.com and find something you want to recreate
3) Take a look at the documentation
- Go to https://teacher.desmos.com/computation-layer/documentation and take a look at the basics. If its confusing for you don't worry! You can play around with the examples there or move on. You'll be back.
4) Find a Desmos activity and take it apart
- Provide delayed feedback by compiling results from one screen onto another: teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/57f3dd9dcf3c849008d81007
- Use sketch to graph relationships in a video with a scrolling line as a guide: teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/58797d35d81a612605304b1f
- Have Desmos graph a function based on input from a table or math expression: teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/5605bb5f00701ed10fb09314
- Play around with time and provide feedback in both the graph and text: teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/59233ca25ebd6c10d1af9c05
- Create multiple objects on a single screen using a button: teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/56e19b4183ba3908118725dd
5) Try some items from the Computation Layer Scavenger Hunt
6) Start Building!
- Use the examples from Desmos, parts of the scavenger hunt, or the CL Bank of Wonders (link coming soon)
- ASK QUESTIONS!!! Go to cl.desmos.com and post whatever you need, someone will help out quickly!
Still stuck? I guess you can watch the webinars or wait for them to start up again soon...
One More Thing:
...However, I will hold of on providing a link while it is moved to a better location. For access now send me a message and I can hook you up, if not I'll Blog about it once it's finalized! Follow the blog for the best updates.